I had my knee surgery on Friday. UGH. Turns out there was one meniscal tear, in the back of my meniscus - which meant a little more, um, manuvering of my knee if you will. And because of where it was I now have a lovely T-Rom brace that goes from my ankle to almost my hip and only allows me to bend it to whatever degree the doc sets it at (which happens to be 90* right now, but I haven't gotten anywhere near that). It wasn't as bad as it could have been, because the MRI showed that there were two possible tears and my pcl looked "abnormal" but the doc checked everything out and only found the one tear. So, that's good. But - at the same time, IT FRIGGIN HURTS. My best friend Joan is an OR tech so she was explaining to me how they had to get to where the tear was, and what odd and inhuman angles I was probably bent at, and it's no wonder i'm so sore and swollen! No one should have to know what happened to them while they were out (i'm kidding!).
So anyway, I can put as much pressure as is comfortable while my brace is on, but absolutely NO pressure on it while the brace is off. I have to sleep with the brace on so if I need to get up in the middle of the night I don't put pressure on it, or roll onto it etc. But can I just say, I am absolutely HORRIBLE at crutches. I've never done them before, and it is no fun at all. I can't get up the stairs on them at all, and down isn't so good either. Good thing we have a rambler and my room is on the main level.
But I'm not all sure what is going on. I don't know if it's the meds or what, but when I stand up I get really light headed if I am standing/moving for more than about a minute. I'm on 2 Lortab every 6 hours, and honestly they don't do much for the pain. Today I have felt very nauseated and dizzy as well. So I took a nap and finally got up the courage to take a shower (with matt's help, of course). I can't put pressure on my knee, so I have to just basically lean against the shower wall for support and washed my upper body and let matt wash my legs etc. So there I was leaning against the wall of the shower and next thing I know my vision is starting to disappear from the outside to the inside, and I pass out. Not completely, I can still hear matt, but I can't hold my head up, and i'm just leaning in the corner of the shower. Matt gets me rinsed off and out of the shower and once I sit down for a little bit I'm fine again, just really tired.
Not sure what all that is about, but I guess I'll put a call into the doctor's office tomorrow. It might be side effects from the meds, but if Matt goes back to work I can't be on meds that are gonna make me pass out - but I also cannot be off pain meds and hurting so badly either. So I don't know what's going to happen...but either way, IT SUCKS.
Cousin Adventure #7 Swimming!
13 years ago



1 comments:
sorry you are hurting so much jen! i am just glad that you don't live in your old split level house! can you imagine going up and down those stairs all the time?
Post a Comment