Monday, March 24, 2008

The Many Emotions of Peeing On A Stick!

As a woman, there are few things in life that can bring about such an array of emotions as peeing on a stick - in other words - a home pregnancy test. Never in our lives will our urine be of such importance as in those few minutes it takes to get a positive or negative result (or, gulp, an "inconclusive"). So many thoughts and emotions are brought about by the one, or two, little lines. For any "first timer" those two minutes could quite possibly be the longest in our lives.

For many it is a great and joyous occasion when they get the positive result that they have perhaps been waiting many years to recieve. For others those two little lines could mean the end of their own childhood - as a teenaged mother. For others still they could symbolize yet another addition to their family, whether planned or not. With each new pregnancy there is also the added fear - will the baby make it, will I be a good mom, can we afford this, and so goes the never-ending list of worries.

Now let's think about the negative test results. The heartbreak of another unsuccessful attempt at concieving a much loved and wanted child. Or, perhaps, the relief of getting lucky and NOT concieving when you weren't as careful as you know you should be.

Whether you want to be pregnant or not, the simple act of holding a stick in your urine stream and then waiting two minutes for the results is one that women fear. I am one of those women. I will be peeing on a stick this week....not because I think I am pregnant (I don't), or because I want to be pregnant (again, I don't), but because I will be getting x-rays this week and even though the chances of me actually being pregnant are VERY VERY VERY VERY slim, I do not want to risk the possible life of my unborn child, if by some miracle I am expecting. So, add me, once again, to the list of millions of women going through the wide range of emotions that are associated with the everyday task of peeing. And please, cross your fingers that the results are negative!

0 comments: